So you are thinking about getting a new pet? Or as we like to call them, a new family member. But where do you start? We always like to choose adoption as the first option.
Firstly, remember that a pet is for life and should be treated like a member of the family, with a warm and loving home. Do you have the time to give to a pet? Is the backyard big enough? Will the kids get along with him/her? All of these are factors for consideration.
Shelters usually have a diverse range of new family members to choose from, older dogs, younger dogs, small breeds through to the ever loveable bigger breed. So finding that companion that suits your family, lifestyle and home are even easier.
Just a few reasons to consider adoption:
- You are literally saving a life!
- Adopting your next pet from a shelter is also good value! Most shelter fees include the cost of desexing, vaccinations, worm and flea treatment along with microchip identification.
- Many shelter animals are already housebroken and trained, and have some understanding of what living with a family is like and how to fit in.
- Shelters always have the animals best interests at heart and can’t wait for them to find their fur-ever homes.
- Animals will usually be put through behaviour training.
- Shelters generally offer free educational information on all aspects of pet ownership, and they often provide ongoing advice and guidance at the shelter, over the phone, and through classes.
So why not consider adoption next time you are looking for your new best friend.
Here are just a few of our favourite animal shelters here in Australia that would love for you to visit and help save a life today.